Monday, November 7, 2011

Why did I get married?

So right now at the moment I am watching/listening to "Why did I get married"..and as everything that I do gets me to thinking..


One of my favorite characters in this movie is Shelia (Jill Scott). If you have never seen this movie, The third couple is overweight Shelia (Jill Scott) and over-Shelia Mike (Richard T. Jones). Shelia is made to deplane because of her weight and the requirement to purchase two seats and drive the long distance in the snow, while her husband Mike continues on the flight with Shelia's single friend, Trina (Denise Boutte). When Mike arrives without Shelia, the other wives berate him and Trina for having left Shelia to drive alone. Shelia's husband shows clearly that he does not care for his wife at all. Her friends try to reach Shelia by phone but get her voice mail only. Shelia is persistent to get to the retreat because she wants to make her marriage work. Providence leads her to Sheriff Troy Jackson's (Lamman Rucker) office. Due to weather the roads have been closed for the night and she has no choice but to spend the night. That same night, Mike tiptoes, not unseen by Angela, to Trina's bedroom. Shelia arrives at the retreat house the following morning with Troy in tow. She introduces Troy to the others and tells them she has invited him to breakfast.
Troy fast becomes a threat to Shelia's husband Mike, not because of Shelia, but because of Trina, with whom he is having an affair. The secrets that come out in their heated discussions lead the couples toward a path where they can either choose to reconcile or to separate, and the latter is what happens to Shelia and Mike. Mike makes it clear he is not attracted to his wife any longer and when it is revealed he is being unfaithful, he simply tells her he wants a divorce. The vacation is cut short when all the secrets come to light, as the couples suddenly decide they cannot stay in the house any longer. Shelia checks into a local hotel to recover from the shock of her divorce and the realization that Mike has drained her bank account. She is in a depressed state when Troy goes to visit her. He takes her up to a mountain where she cries and mourns the loss of her love and the only life she knew. In the mountains, Shelia is settling into a new life working for Troy in the general store his father owned and getting to know Troy and realizing her own self-worth. The two of them bond. The couples eventually reconcile and all the couples converge on the gala celebration for an award that Patricia has received for her work. Dianne, Patricia and Angela are shocked when Shelia introduces Troy as her husband. Ex-husband Mike, although he is still with Trina, is very jealous of Shelia's newfound bliss and tries to weasel his way back into her good graces, but she tells him to go enjoy Trina.

 So that brings me to the point, the whole time I watched the movie the first time, I cried like a baby. Like someone just stole my binkie and wont give it back. The reason I was crying is, EVERY oversized woman feels the same way Shelia does. Now, they dont want to admit it, and some are just getting over the hurt. Some lose the weight, some just choose to be a spokesperson and make a difference. I, on the other hand, I exercise. I am an oversize woman like many women here in the US. I have been overweight since I was at least 10 years old. First it was the meds I was taking at that age, then it was just a comfort. Food was a comfort. I also felt, and still sometimes feel the way Shelia does in this movie. Now,  I know the looks I get for being heavy, I dont like them..but I tell myself, "who are they to judge me."

Well, when my husband was deployed, I lost SOOOOO much weight! I went from a size 26 to a size 18!! Yes it is true!! I was working, I went to the gym every morning, I didnt really eat right cuz I was always on the go, and didnt have a reason to. I didnt take weight management pills at all! It was all me. Smoking, working, tanning, and exercising. When my husband came home from deployment, I gained so much weight. Gosh it's like I blew up in the matter of 5 months, I was back in my 22's..I didnt gain it all back, but Im not comfortable being in a size 22! Then at the middle of 2011, I was in my 24's..And my husband was even gaining weight! The whole time I was gaining, my husband was gaining. He gained 30lbs! I felt so bad, looking the way I did, couldnt even imagine him...Im like a yoyo. So when we moved to Colorado a few months ago, I told myself I would get off my butt and exercise again, and try to eat right. Well, I have went down one pant size, which would make me a 22 now. BUT, I am happy to say that day by day I feel better, lighter, and fuller. I dont have to drink a soda everyday, I dont have to eat 3 huge meals, I just live to live. Food dosent control me anymore. It feels great! I let God control me, and let him show me the path I need to go, for the most part. I do still make mistakes, I'm only human.



As for my husband, well..I am so happy to say that he went from a 46 size pant size to a 40!!!! I'm so proud of him!! He is losing it much much faster because he has a VERY physical job, and he dosent really take big meals to work with him.

Needless to say, we are happy to be here. Happy to be alive. Happy to be able to wake up and do things. So happy that we aren't so overweight that we just lay in bed because it hurts to do anything else. We intend to keep doing better for ourselves, and living everyday the way we should. I hope everyone who reads not only learns something, but also takes in the proof that the things you say or do to someone who doesn't look the same as you, it hurts them. It isn't your place to judge that person, because you don't know the things they go through in their life. Just take my advice.




These photos are taken from: www.google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment